Friday, April 12, 2013

A Broth of Betrayal by Connie Archer

Currently Reading

Blurb: Even a town called Snowflake, Vermont, has a summer season. In August, Lucky Jamieson’s By the Spoonful serves chilled soups—celery and green onion, cream of asparagus—and salads. The shop also serves as a gathering place to talk about cold-blooded murder…

A protest to stop the construction of an ugly car wash in the middle of the town’s picturesque Village Green is interrupted by the discovery of a skeleton that may date back to the Revolutionary War. While the remains pose a historical mystery, a present-day murder shakes the town to its core when local auto mechanic Harry Hodges is found dead in his shop.

Straining the patience of Chief of Police Nate Edgerton, Lucky soon finds herself in the soup again when her dear friend Elizabeth, the Mayor of Snowflake, goes missing. No matter how much trouble she has to stir up, Lucky is determined to use her noodle to uncover a killer and recover her friend…


My Review: This series is extra special to me because it's set here in Vermont, and if possible I enjoyed this second book even more than the first! There's a plethora of mysteries going on, from the question of what happened to a Revolutionary War soldier during the Battle of Bennington, to the murder of local auto mechanic Harry Hodges, to the disappearance of Lucky's dear friend and second mother Elizabeth Dove. The question is...how is all the criminal activity surrounding Snowflake connected? Lucky discovers that even a town as picturesque as Snowflake in scenic Vermont has it's secrets.

This book takes place during the sweltering heat of August (yes, Vermont does have pretty brutal summers!), and I enjoyed how the Snowflake residents celebrated the season by putting on a Reenactment of the Battle of Bennington. Lucky and Elias are one of my favorite "cozy couples" and I'm really looking forward to watching their romance develop even further. I read the teaser for the next book in the series, A Roux of Revenge, and am excited to see it takes place in the fall, the most beautiful time of year in Vermont as far as I'm concerned!

This mystery is an action-packed page turner with memorable characters I look forward to revisiting again and again!

Check out Connie Archer's wonderful guest post on The Missing of Vermont here.


I received a copy of this book from the publisher with the request for a review.

2 comments:

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Oh, this definitely sounds like a series I would love! I'm going to try to remember to look for book 1 at the library!

Katreader said...

I have been wanting to read this series since I first heard about the first book.