Sunday, September 15, 2013

Book Review: Andi Unexpected by Amanda Flower

Andi Unexpected

I can pinpoint the exact moment in my life when my passion for reading (mysteries in particular) began. I was in middle school and discovered the Nancy Drew books in my school library. I couldn't devour them fast enough. Those carefree days of my childhood spent with Nancy and her friends will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'm getting older because I worry that in the digital age we live in today, little girls are missing out on the pure pleasure of getting lost in a good story. That's why I was so excited when I learned that one of my favorite mystery authors, Amanda Flower, had written a mystery novel for middle school kids. It is a must-read for children of all ages who want to recapture those memories of a more innocent time.

Twelve-year-old Andora ‘Andi’ Boggs and her fourteen-year-old sister Bethany move to rural Ohio to live with their eccentric twenty-something aunt after the sudden death of their parents. While dealing with her grief, Andi discovers proof of another Andora Boggs in the family tree whose existence was hidden in a Depression-era trunk in the attic. With help from her new friend and neighbor, Colin Carter, Andi is determined to find out who this first Andora was and what happened to her.

Andi Unexpected is a timeless story filled with mystery, adventure, history, and an emphasis on the importance of family and friendship. Whether you are 9 or 90 I guarantee you will find yourself charmed by Andi and Colin. I can't wait until they pull out their casebook for their next investigation.


I received a copy of this book from Zonderkidz with the request for a review.

1 comment:

Amanda Flower said...

Thank you for the great review, Melissa!!!